Warning: Rants likely for at least 5 paragraphs

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Back from Scotland and still suffering a little

So, back in London.

I've had two nights since being back without drinking. I think it's been good for me, has that. And I thought, since I'm sober and back in London I'd post about the last month. There was rather a lot of it, so I'm afraid it's just the highlights.

First off, it should always be remembered that to find jewels at Edinburgh you have a see a fair bit of shite. And, the line-up this year, it must be said, was not all that inspiring. However, I can recommend without hesitation that anyone who geets the opportunity should go and see Dusty Limits in his cabaret act or the Freaks in a Box in whatever it is they describe their show as. The latter had me laughing so hard it physically hurt.

My Name is Rachel Corrie should also be seen by as many people as possible. On the off chance the production doesn;t have enough superlatives already, it was simply devastating. I was sitting there in tears by the end, and that has only happened one other time in a decade of working in theatre.

Beyond that, this festival was not perfect. For one thing, despite the hopes described in my last post, it turned out that the Scotsman had taken against our company before seeing our shows. Not a mention of the acting or production for Crime and Punishment. They criticised our gall in attempting to adapt it at all, which I suppose is a valid opinion, but it was very clearly a decision made before seeing the show. The report was similar regarding the other shows we had their. I think they considered us guilty of hubris for attempting so much. Valid, again, but I expected better journalism of Scotland's national newspaper than to send out reporters with minds made up in advance. And, in more than one instance, reporters who printed inaccuracies which also speaks of a lack of professionalism.

The verdict was far, far better from audiences, including the lovely Hannah who is as charming in life as she is online. There is something about the festival that somehow brings all of the good stuff to the fore and all the crap fades into the background. After an awful lot of problems with C Venues, who I shall not be working with again, quite a few of us have said we probably won't be back next year. But the festival's like that. Someone will make an offer in February and the glow of the festival will mean that I'll probably wind up saying yes.

And, happy birthday to Billy, who's actual birthday I missed due to festival shenanigans.

8 Comments:

At 5:23 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

You met the lovely Hannah? Lucky guy!

 
At 2:28 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Well, you've embarrassed me now!

Was lovely to meet you and I stand by my original opinion that C&P was brilliant. Screw the Scotsman.

 
At 5:00 am, Blogger Billy said...

Leighton: he sure did, and rang me afterwards to tell me so. Bah!

 
At 5:54 pm, Blogger corin said...

LC: Yes, indeed. Hers is a gin & tonic.

Hannah: Thanks again for the praise. The Scotsman mean little to me, barring their ability to draw audience.

Billy: I cannot but expound. I'm an actor, it's in my nature.

 
At 4:25 am, Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Some theatrical friends in my village want to perform in The Fringe next year, I might go along and watch, I wonder if there are any good blogs on this, can you suggest any please

 
At 4:25 am, Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Some theatrical friends in my village want to perform in The Fringe next year, I might go along and watch, I wonder if there are any good blogs on this, can you suggest any please

 
At 4:25 am, Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Some theatrical friends in my village want to perform in The Fringe next year, I might go along and watch, I wonder if there are any good blogs on this, can you suggest any please

 
At 3:19 pm, Blogger Arabella said...

So, what boards will you be walking in London this season?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home