Warning: Rants likely for at least 5 paragraphs

Friday, September 29, 2006

He's changed man. But not too much.

While I've been pootling around the interweb searching for extra-strong boot laces and stuff, Through The Keyhole was on the telly. (For those who don't know, or who have repressed, celebreties are shown other celebreties' houses and have to guess... You get the idea.) It is, of course, presented by Sir David Frost.

What struck me was that, yesterday I saw Frost-Nixon at the Donmar Warehouse, and it reminded me that Frost was not always the comfortable, daytime TV slightly muted personality that we see today.

When my dad talks about Frost he refers to The Day Today. What I'd completely forgotten was that he also got The Definitive Interview with Richard Nixon, making television history.

When people look back on the career of our Frost, I can't help feeling that they will consider Through the Keyhole to be something of an anti-climax.

But, in the meantime, if you can get to see it, Frost-Nixon is well worth seeing, with Frank Langella (who most will now know as Perry White, but I'll always think of as Skeletor) as Nixon and Michael Sheen *sigh* as Frost.

1 Comments:

At 12:43 am, Blogger Wyndham said...

Langella will always be the definitive Broadway Dracula for me. I thought Frost/Nixon was great as a portrait of what happens when bullshitters collide and it was interesting how Frost was portrayed - as a total lightweigtht who got lucky. Is there nothing Sheen can't play? I thought he was brilliant, but Langella was better!

Thanks for the link, Corin!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home