Warning: Rants likely for at least 5 paragraphs

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Dressing up

With Billy south of the equator, Other Housemate and I are bereft of some of the stranger conversations that usually occur here in out little corner of West London. Filling these gaps has, inevitably involved some extra drinking and I naturally assumed this was the cause when I was asked earlier, "Do you think Captain Janeway is a bit smug?"

I am an unashamed geek, having forgotten more about Doctor Who that most will ever know, owning every Buffy episode, countless Batman comics etc. etc. Turns out that Other Housemate has been recieving some coaching so that she can act like she knows what the hell I'm talking about when I talk about such things.

I'm not really a Trekkie, I protested. She looked understandably sceptical. Really, I said, I've never dressed up as a Klingon or anything.

She condsidered this for a moment before asking whether it would be in my top ten things to dress up as. And, I'm shocked to say, I really didn't know. So I've given it some thought and now present a list (ideal-world, budget-no-issue kind) of my top dressing up choices for your perusal:

- Dalek. Not dressing up so much as crouching down, it still has to make the list for sheer iconic value.

- Britney Spears. While I'm not much of a singer I have pulled off a passable Britney impression before. Works better when I'm clean-shaven.

- The Borg. Without having the real thing, Star Trek costumes always look crappy, but if I had the real stuff, the Borg are very cool, and I don't really have the build to be a Klingon.

- Frank N Furter. Any opportunity to put on fishnets with suspenders.

- Nightwing. Once again, I don't have the build to be Batman, but with a good enough costume I'm pretty sure I could pull off Nightwing.

- Legolas. I should have been in that movie. But that's a longer rant than I can be bothered with just now.

- Vampire. My most common choice on Hallowe'en.

Ok, I can't think of more now, but I'm sure, given time, I could choose something from Star Wars. I've decided (arbitrarily) to limit this to one choice per show/film.


"UNIT is supposed to be a security organisation, Doctor."
"You think I might attract attention?"
"It's just possible."

8 Comments:

At 4:36 am, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not a fan of dressing up for party purposes. I can never really be bothered, and there's always someone else who's made more of an effort.

Our friends are fond of the most politically incorrect costumes they can muster: we've had various blacked-up characters, from Papa Lazarou to Samuel L Jackson, and a very convincing suicide bomber at the last shindig.

 
At 10:25 pm, Blogger Billy said...

What about the tituar Witch from "The Lion, Witch & wardrobe" fame?

 
At 3:53 am, Blogger Billy said...

Oops, that should be "titular" of course. Freudian spelling "error" alert!

 
At 6:44 am, Blogger Arabella said...

It's not very original but I've always wanted to dress up in the full Halston costume of Liza Minnelli's 'Sally Bowles'.
There is still time.

 
At 8:39 pm, Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

I'm impressed you came up with, what, 8? I pretty much always dress up as a pirate. It's the only thing I can ever think of. Plus, I look really good in a mustache.

I think I'd bust a gut laughing at the Dalek costume...

 
At 2:12 am, Blogger Pod said...

hello. i had a similar memory sparked by molly too. i just posted it. it was a bit magical.....

 
At 4:24 am, Blogger llewtrah said...

You know more about Dr Who than I do and I was shamelessly addicted to classic Dr Who omnibus editions on UKTV Gold (6 a.m. to 9 a.m.) so surely that makes you a Whovian? I'm not sure where on the geek hierarchy that is in relation to trekkie/trekker.

Q. What's the difference between a trekker and a trekkie?
A. A trekker wonders what it would be like to have sex in zero gravity. A trekkie just wonders what it would be like to have sex.

I got called a "trainspotter of the music world" for earing a heavy metal tshirt. Not sure where that puts me on the geek hierarchy either!

Not sure what I'd dress up as. Dr Who's assistant Leela possibly, but I'd need a lot more leather than she did.

 
At 4:36 am, Blogger Wyndham said...

"I'm pretty sure I could pull off Nightwing."

I'm sorry. I can't help having a filthy mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home